- Wear your retainers every night or as
- Remove your retainers when eating and
always put them in their case! Appliances are
most often lost in school lunchrooms or
- Once a day, thoroughly clean your retainers with
a toothbrush and toothpaste to remove plaque and
eliminate odors. Use warm – not hot – water. While
Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners may
be helpful, they do not take the place of brushing.
- Pets love to chew on retainers: when not in your mouth,
ALWAYS keep your retainers in a retainer case.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. To get used to your retainers
faster, practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud.
- Treat your retainers with care: they’re easily breakable. Call us immediately if you lose or break your retainers.
- Call us if you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or they need to be adjusted. Don’t try adjusting them yourself.
- Whenever you have a Utah orthodontist appointment, bring your retainers with you.
- It’s expensive to replace retainers. With proper care, however, your retainers will last for years!
- Remove your retainers whenever you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.