There are quite a few good reasons that summer is the perfect time to start orthodontic treatment for your child.
Okay, so what are the good reasons that summer is the perfect time to start?
- Schedule – Typically, there is more free time (at least for your kids) during summer. This gives you more flexibility to go to follow-up appointments without having to have them miss school.
- Routine – When you first get braces, there’s a whole new morning routine. You need to get used to a more involved process of brushing your teeth and flossing. Starting them during the summer lets your kids get used to this new routine without having to be stressed about making it to school on time.
- Adjustment – When you get new braces there is a brief adjustment period you’ll go through. During that adjustment period, you may be uncomfortable, talk funny, and even experience some pain. Summer gives you plenty of time to relax and get used to them.
So, of course there are a lot of foods that need to be avoided when you have braces, but instead of focusing on that, here are some amazing summertime foods that you can enjoy.
Those are just a few great options that you can easily enjoy with, or without braces. Other summer classics include watermelon, cantaloupe, salads, and many more!
You can also always check if Invisalign is an option and not have to worry about the food aspect of braces at all.
Now that we’ve talked about braces, let’s talk about something more exciting. Here are some amazing summer activities in Utah for you to try out, regardless of braces:
- Float your way down the Provo River – There is nothing better than spending a hot summer day on the river with your friends. This is a super fun couple of hours on the river and you’ll get some really cool views of different mountains around the Provo Canyon.
- Camping in the Uinta Mountains – Located roughly an hour outside of Park City, they feature some absolutely breathtaking scenery with countless hiking trails, beautiful lakes and incredible spots to make camp.
- Visit Red Butte Garden – Red Butte Garden is the largest botanical garden in the Intermountain West and together with the University of Utah, is a state arboretum. The garden is located on the foothills on the Wasatch mountains. It has beautiful views overlooking the Salt Lake Valley and Great Salt Lake.
- Ziplining at Sundance Mountain Resort – The Sundance ZipTour is one of the most exciting and scenic zip tours in the world, boasting over 2,100 feet of vertical drop — the most of any zip line tour in the United States.
- Visit Utah Olympic Park – Whether you want to go golfing, horseback riding, fly fishing, or even hot air ballooning, Olympic Park will definitely make for a fun summer day!
Braces aren’t always fun, but summer should be! If you have any questions or if you’re not sure that braces are the right choice, contact us so we can help you out.
Wishing you an amazing summer,
Dr. David McDonough